In attendance were Board members Betty Warner, Kim Barber, Coral Hawley, Cindy Bryant and Librarian, Diane Deutsch
The meeting was called to order at 5:32
Coral moved, Cindy seconded the approval and acceptance of the consent agenda of Minutes, Treasurer’s report, and Librarian’s report.
Items considered from librarian report:
- Should we consider the use of area rugs including the ones we already have which need cleaning. Area rugs can be used where they do not interfere with the movement of bookshelves. Existing area rugs will be cleaned before being used again.
- Removal of large cardboard box for collecting at holidays. Cindy took care of this prior to meeting.
- Consider removal of items in the downstairs entryway/hallway. In advance of meeting Betty prepared an inventory, all items were considered by the board.
- Redesign updates - shelving
- current configuration makes use of all available shelf space
- Possible changes when volunteer contractor available
- Redesign update - desk, in house needs assembly, plans in place
- Redesign - other open items discussed change of door to closet by children’s area and need to put cleaning supplies on shelf over sink, may need to remove other shelving
- No policy updates this month
- Online offerings - Palace implementation has begun, Amanda may have more information about other possibilities
- Grants - HUD VTLib is waiting for next action, Clif has been submitted
- Collection development guidelines - we continue to be guided by patron requests. Betty reported that other libraries seem to enhance their collection similarly. While not necessarily waiting for patron request, they make selections anticipating them. Thus one library may put more attention on mysteries and thrillers while another may focus on historical fiction.
- Verification of collection data - because of the large quantity of changes to the data while preparing for new shelving, it is necessary to confirm that our Koha system is as accurate as can be. Most important is the adult fiction collection. This one time effort will require the help of board members.
- Policy prioritization. It was agreed that we would use the suggestions from the state library.
There was a discussion about the ease of obtaining information about our Summer Reading Program. It was agreed that Betty would do a one time update to the calendar so that it would be available from the website and that the librarian would continue to routinely update that google account calendar going forward.
Betty Warner for Amanda Barrett